We are hiring a Senior Counsel for our Original Programming (OP) team, to be based in London. In this role, you will provide the OP team with first class legal and business affairs support across Europe, bringing to the team your knowledge and experience of both the UK and international television production industry. You will be working mainly in drama series development and production, but will also have some documentary work.
This is a senior position reporting directly to the VP Business & Legal Affairs, Original Programming. This new position will ensure that the OP team's systems and practices are ready to deal with the current workload and future expansion as the business continues to increase production activity throughout Europe.
Key responsibilities will include:
- Negotiation, drafting and review of underlying rights, development, production and distribution agreements and agreements related to day-to-day production work for the services of directors, actors, crew, locations, facilities and supplier
- Review, analysis, advice and recommendations for the management of union agreements for the services of actors, creators, writers and crew in various regions
- Clearance work, including script review and advising on the clearance of intellectual property and defamation
- Familiarisation with and providing advice on subsidies, tax rebates and other incentives in various regions
- Providing advice on underlying rights, copyright and other intellectual property issues, compliance and regulatory matters as required
- Assisting with the assessment of potential production partners, including obtaining and analyzing background materials (company searches, charges and accounts)
In this role, you will supervise in-house and external counsel in HBO Europe territories in relation to the above matters and provide day-to-day support for the HBO Europe legal team generally, as directed by the VP Business and Legal Affairs.
To be successful in this role, we believe you will have:
- Media sector experience gained in a media focused practice
- High level expertise in television development and production agreements is essential in the areas of scripted drama, documentary and digital media
- Track record of working successfully with senior production and creative staff
- Relevant international experience
- In-house experience with a production company, broadcaster or major studio, is highly desirable, but otherwise, “frontline” television production experience with a law firm would be considered
- Hands-on experience of the types of contracts and agreements handled in the role is essential
- A passion for TV drama
Does this sound like your next job? Send us your application today