HBO Europe has an opportunity for an experienced entertainment lawyer to join the team in Madrid. Drawing from your deep knowledge and experience of the local television production industry you will focus on the original programming activities for HBO España, working primarily in drama series development and production with a small percentage of time dedicated to documentaries. You will work closely with the Original Programming team, HBO Europe regional counsels, US counsels, and other departments to ensure first class legal and business affairs support.
This role includes content acquisitions, studio deals, distribution, compliance, and regulatory work and will also involve several other areas including general commercial contractual work, marketing law, intellectual property law, and other more general commercial aspects of the business regarding operations in Spain (e.g., employment, compliance, and data protection).
To be considered for the role you must possess the following:
- Media sector experience gained in-house with a major studio, broadcaster or production company or from a law firm with a media focused or entertainment practice
- High level expertise in television development and production agreements is essential, ideally in the areas of scripted drama, documentary and digital media
- Track record of working successfully with senior production and creative staff
- Relevant international experience
- Hands-on experience of the types of contracts and agreements handled in the role is essential
- Ability to review budgets and other financial documentation
- Fluency in both English and Spanish is a must
- University Degree in Law from an internationally recognized university
- Ability to work proactively and independently in a fast-paced production environment.
- Detail oriented and organized with a passion for television drama
- Concise communication skills with the ability to present compelling arguments
- Friendly and with an affinity for working collaboratively and learning from others